Top 4 PROS and CONS for Traditional and Smart Locks
We all love the old nob and key, but smart locks are becoming the new crush of modern-day. Or are they? Let's take a look at the pros and cons of both, and you can decide for yourself. (Before continuing below, you can find an in-depth description for both types of locks here.)
Traditional Locks: Pros
1. PRICE. You can't beat the price of a traditional lock. You can find them as cheap as $9 at Walmart, maybe even cheaper elsewhere.
2. INSTALLATION. It's pretty easy as long as you know how to use a screwdriver, or know how to read directions.
3. No technical difficulties. As soon as your lock is in place it's ready to be used, issue free!
4. Only a certain shaped key has access to the lock. No other key is designed to fit the lock. Unless you've made multiple keys, only those with the key have access.
Traditional Locks: Cons
1. The downside of having a traditional lock and key is that you need a key. Don't lose it, or you might have to crawl in through a window!
2. It's easy for these locks to be removed from your door by intruders leaving them with easy access into your home if they're good with a screwdriver too. Easy come easy go.
3. House guests and new roommates need the key for entry, which is an inconvenience if you can't be two places at once or don't want to make a replica.
4. Traditional locks are good for picking. Literally, since there's a keyhole someone could pick the lock, if they're into that.
Smart Locks: Pros
1. CONVENIENCE! All you need is a secure access code, no keys necessary. Smart locks are also compatible with smartphones through an app where you can lock and unlock your door no matter where you are. No worrying about needing an extra key for guests or trying to remember if you locked the door or not, just check/use the app.
2. ALERT SYSTEM. It's not as easy for a smart lock to be removed from a door by an intruder because most smart locks have a built-in siren or alarm system to let you know about any suspicious activity.
3. No one can pick your lock if you have a keyless entry.
4. Bluetooth camera connectivity. Some smart locks (there is a variety) can connect to your security camera system or come with a camera built-in which is compatible with smart lock apps and can be hooked up via Bluetooth so you can view any camera activity directly from your phone.
Smart Locks: Cons
1. "Dolla dolla bill ya'll." These things can get pretty pricey. I've seen smart locks that range up to $800, but I'd pay a lot for safety too so no judgment here.
2. Technical issues. Some smart locks require a network connection, they can also run out of battery life. While other malfunctions could mean you need an upgraded lock.
3. Code hacking! If someone has the time, or your code is simple to crack-- they can certainly hack it. Make sure not to use a birth date just to be safe.
4. Instead of depending on a key you have to depend on a smartphone or a code. Just keep your smartphone charged and/or don't forget your lock code!
There are far more pros and cons to both locks, but after this little list which one do you like more? We Are More specializes in smart locks, so if you have any more questions about those or need help installing multiple for your home or business (including alarm systems or any security control) let us know.
No copyright infringement is intended.
7/29/2021 08:07:47 am
Traditional locks are best only certain shaped key has access to the lock and smart locks are becoming trend these days they need secure access code, no keys are necessary.
We Are More
9/1/2021 08:19:46 am
We agree! Digital locks are great for many reasons, thank you for your input!
8/15/2021 02:38:37 am
Traditional locking systems need manual locking, but smart locks are compatible with smartphones through an app where you can lock and unlock your door no matter where you are.
9/16/2021 08:33:06 am
If you want to install traditional or smart locking system, hire only certified locksmith.
2/3/2022 02:05:11 pm
It really interests me to read such articles, thanks for sharing. Blogs like yours really helps me learn more day by day.
7/5/2022 10:05:35 am
Hey, I read your article and your information is very amazing and so much helpful for me. Keep it up and Thank you very much. :) More info at https://tsca.com.ph/
8/11/2022 11:29:48 pm
Great blog! I love how you explained the pros and cons of both smart and traditional doors. For me I would still go for a door that would make my family and I feel more secure and that would be a smart door.
9/7/2022 03:48:06 am
I want to make sure that I get the right lock for my home. It makes sense that I would want to get a professional to install that for me. They would be able to ensure that I put everything together properly.
4/20/2023 09:54:07 am
Your door no matter where you are. No worrying about needing an extra key for guests or trying to remember if you locked the door or not, Thank you for sharing your great post!
4/25/2023 01:59:18 am
Your blog post comparing traditional and smart door locks was really interesting to me. top four advantages and disadvantages of each!! I am overjoyed to have came upon stuff that is written to such an extraordinarily high standard. I appreciate the research that you have done and how precisely you have presented these specific facts.
Leave a Reply.
Samara Towers does We Are More's PR & Marketing which includes writing our blogs! She was born and raised in Hawaii and graduated from Corban University with a Bachelors Degree in Creative Writing. She produces content to give our audience more insight and opinions on technical solutions big and small.